Thursday, September 27, 2012

Got Issues?

I had the pleasure of reviewing Nicole Unice's great book She's Got Issues back in July. Tyndale House Publishers then gave me the opportunity of reviewing the companion DVD Group Study. So glad they did.

I consider myself a connoisseur of DVD Bible Studies. I have lead a bi-weekly women's Bible Study for the past five years. We have enjoyed Beth Moore, Kay Arthur, Priscilla Shirer, Ann Graham Lotz, Angela Thomas, and Jennifer Rothchild. So I reviewed this new DVD study through that lens.

I have to say, I loved it. I can't wait to schedule this one for our women's group.

I really liked the format. The first 10 minutes of the video lesson is an interview with one women who has struggled with that lesson's topic (control, insecurity, comparison, fear, anger or unforgiveness). Then the group is encouraged to privately journal on some provided question prompts. Then Nicole teaches on the topic for about 15 minutes. Finally there are great discussion questions to allow for everyone in the study to get involved and share.

Nicole's style to really easy to watch and listen to. In fact, I would love to have lunch with her!

The topics in this DVD are relevant and the teaching has good 'meat on the bone'. I am pretty tough on women's studies that are what I call, too fluffy. This isn't one of them. While the teaching is brief by Beth Moore standards it's solid. Plus these issues require discussion so the extra time is great. Ideally the study should be about 1.5 hours a session to get the most from the DVD and discussion.

So this one gets a big thumbs up from me.

(Tyndale House provided this DVD to me in exchange for an unbiased review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment