Monday, July 16, 2012

I Have Issues!

Over the past several weeks, including vacation, I have been reading a book by Nicole Unice - She's Got Issues. I loved the subtitle: seriously good news for stressed out, secretly scared control freaks like us. I'm not one to typically read books about women's issues, but when I had the chance to review this one for Tyndale House Publishers, I couldn't resist.

True confession. I have loved this book. Not every issue has been something I could relate to but there's a lot here to chew on. Her counseling background and pure honesty makes this read feel like you are sitting with a good friend.

Her approach in tackling the various topics is to first write a chapter on the issue (e.g., The Comparison Game) and then the follow up chapter is about some practical solutions (e.g., Quitting the Comparison Game). She addresses control, insecurity, comparison, fear, anger, and unforgiveness. In each core chapter there is a quiz to see where you stand on the issue being discussioned. I really appreciated how she took answers to specific questions and then linked them to more specific issues in order to help the reader better understand what it all might mean. Each chapter concludes with thoughtful questions that are great for journaling or group discussion.

I have more to say on this terrific book...perhaps a blog post on each topic.

(This book was provided to me by Tyndale House for an unbiased review.)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura, my comment posted as my son. Ha, I have issues. Just wanted you to know that I appreciated your kind review, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the book. May God continue to change you in his grace....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I loved the book and can't wait for the DVD study. I lead a women's Bible study at our inner city church...your insights and Biblical counsel is so spot on. I can't wait to share this with them.

      Delete