Saturday, December 3, 2011

Learning to Wait Before God

Time for another book review. Oh, and this is a great book but not one I've heard that anyone else is reading, at least in my circles. So I'm thrilled to introduce you to this gem: "Your 100 Day Prayer: The Transforming Power of Actively Waiting on God," by John I Synder (Thomas Nelson).

This is a book with a purpose. Right at the start of the book there's a page to note your 100 day start date  and space for "Your Prayer Request." Each of the 100 days mapped out in this book starts with a short devotion/teaching from scripture, then a one sentence prayer question about your request to help get you started, and finally space to write about "Today's Progress." It's structured and powerful. 

A Prayer to Begin:
"Lord, as I embark on this journey of prayer, come and banish from my heart every last trace of self-reliance and captivate my mind with the truth that you are sufficient for my every need, great or small. Transform me by increasing my confidence in you, in all your extravagant forgiveness and mercy, and strengthen my trembling knees in the face of trouble. Cause my loved ones and me to emerge from this season of prayer with a fresh vision of your glory, a new and lasting fearlessness, and a renewed devotion to your purpose, for Jesus' sake. Amen."

You can hear in this prayer that a pastor wrote this book. John and his family worked out the 100 Day Prayer together before he penned the book. I suspect I'll be using a journal to draft responses so that I can reuse the book over and over again.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-100-Day-Prayer-Transforming/dp/1400203406/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322944118&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment