Monday, May 14, 2012

Those Darn Weeds!


I have a couple weeks ahead of me for rather concentrated work on the house and garden (it just means I put in a lot of work hours early in the month and have pretty much finished my hours for May). Today I started tackling those darn weeds in the backyard.
I love Spring, new life creeping out of the soil and at other spots absolutely exploding in growth. But with that new growth it always seems like the weeds have an equal opportunity to thrive.

So today was my day to dig in the dirt and separate the weeds from the new growth - making sure that the weeds weren't getting in the way of those plants soaking in the sun. I discovered fledging sprouts from a perennial long forgotten through the Winter months. A weed was overwhelming it and little sun could reach its few little leaves.

I think this might well be the story of me. Weeding my personal garden of "stuff" that's getting in the way of new growth.

My garden is still more promise than fulfillment, but the weeds are gone.  Plants I 'loved on' last year are thriving, others appear to be struggling to make it. Seriously, gardening in Colorado is a challenge for the hardiest gardener.

With every weed pulled is the possibility of beauty in its place.

Matthew 13:20-23 (The Message)
My first rose of 2012 ready to bloom!
"The seed cast in the gravel—this is the person who hears and instantly responds with enthusiasm. But there is no soil of character, and so when the emotions wear off and some difficulty arrives, there is nothing to show for it. The seed cast in the weeds is the person who hears the kingdom news, but weeds of worry and illusions about getting more and wanting everything under the sun strangle what was heard, and nothing comes of it. The seed cast on good earth is the person who hears and takes in the News, and then produces a harvest beyond his wildest dreams."




1 comment:

  1. Lovely, Laur. The Lord is moving...I cannot wait to see what the fresh air of His Spirit will bring in your life.
    Love,
    DI

    ReplyDelete